To appreciate the unique, soft flavor and delicate nature of White Tea, preparation is of utmost importance.The Republic of Tea’s Minister of Fire & Water suggests the following step-by-step ritual for infusing 100% White Tea:
Heat Your Water
- It begins with the water—the element that brings tea to its full potential. Fresh water yields a better cup. We recommend using filtered, spring or bottled water.
- Fill your kettle with fresh, cold water and heat just short of boiling to avoid “cooking” the delicate tea.
- If you’re using a teapot, warm it first by swirling in a splash of steamy water and pour it out.
- Plan on about one teaspoon of tea or one tea bag per six-ounce cup. If using whole leaf tea, place tea in infusing basket or teapot.
Time Your Steeping
- Pour the water over the tea, cover if in a pot and steep for 30-60 seconds if using white tea bags or 2-3 minutes if using loose-leaf white tea.
Enjoy Your White Tea
- Remove the tea bag or infuser, or use a strainer for the leaves. Pour the steaming tea into a cup and let it cool for a moment.
- Sip. Let the infusion please your palate. Enjoy the nuances, the complexity and character. This is drinking tea.