Did you know that on any given day, 159 million Americans across the USA will sip a cup of tea? Here at The Republic of Tea, we view this statistic as a challenge and an opportunity to maximize our sustainability efforts and minimize the impact that our tea products have on the environment.
We recognize that our actions create ripples that extend far beyond ourselves, and since our company was founded in 1992 we have been committed to sustainability from leaf to cup. From partnering with worthy organizations to reducing waste and encouraging recycling, we are always seeking opportunities to help make the world a better place.
Ta Shun: Harmony for the Whole
The ancient Chinese philosophy of Ta Shun has been an integral part of The Republic of Tea’s mission since our conception.
Also known as “The Great Harmony,” Ta Shun exists when people instinctively care for the natural world around them, and partner together to create wellbeing for the whole community. This philosophy manifests itself in collective concern and goodwill for all humans and the planet as a whole, including initiatives that support this ideology.
Ta Shun is at the core of our approach to environment and social responsibility. With every decision we make, the wellbeing of the earth as a whole is a top priority.
Nurturing Mother Earth One Tea Bag at a Time
In an effort to reduce waste, The Republic of Tea uses our signature round tea bags that are free of excess envelopes, strings, tags, and staples. We could be keep a significant amount of waste out of landfills if all tea bags were designed in the same way as ours:
- 7,528 miles of string per day
- 159,000,000 paper tags per day
- 9 tons of staples per day
Because our tea bags are unbleached and free of chemicals, glue, and chlorine-containing compounds, they can be repurposed as nutrient-rich fertilizer. Just plant these biodegradable bags in your garden, and let their nutrient-rich contents seep out and support the growth of your flowers, veggies, and other plants.
Additionally, all of The Republic of Tea’s tins are recyclable and made from 30-50% recycled steel. In place of wasteful packaging material, we use excess tea paper directly from our production line whenever possible.
Certifications That Do Good for the Planet
The Republic of Tea is proud to partner with the highest level certification organizations, including:
- USDA Certified Organic: These teas and herbs are grown without the use of synthetic chemicals or pesticides, using only sustainable agricultural methods.
- Demeter USA: The Demeter Biodynamic® Farm Standard reflects the Biodynamic principle of the farm as a living organism: self-contained, self-sustaining, following the cycles of nature.
- Rainforest Alliance Certified: Buying products with this seal safeguards the rights and wellbeing of workers, conserves natural resources, and protects wildlife and the environment.
Learn more about The Republic of Tea’s commitment to goodwill and social responsibility here.