To appreciate this mineral-rich herbal tea from South Africa, preparation is of utmost importance. The Republic of Tea’s Minister of Fire & Water suggests the following step-by-step ritual for infusing Red Tea:
Heat Your Water
- It begins with the water—the element that brings tea to its full potential. Fresh water yields a better cup. We recommend using filtered, spring or bottled water.
- Fill your kettle with fresh, cold water and bring to a boil.
- If you’re using a teapot, warm it first by swirling in a splash of steamy water and pour it out.
- Plan on about one teaspoon of tea or one tea bag per six-ounce cup. If using whole leaf tea, place tea in infusing basket or teapot.
Time Your Steeping
- Pour the water over the tea, cover if in a pot and steep for 5-7 minutes for red tea bags and full red tea leaves.
Enjoy Your Red Tea
- Remove the tea bag or infuser, or use a strainer for the leaves. Pour the steaming tea into a cup and let it cool for a moment.
- Sip. Let the infusion please your palate. Enjoy the nuances, the complexity and character. This is drinking tea.