There is no better feeling than snuggling into bed after a long day and drifting into a deep, peaceful slumber. Unfortunately, this is not the nightly reality for many people. As schedules have become busier and work-life boundaries have blurred, more people are tossing and turning at night than ever before.
Establishing a nightly bedtime ritual is an effective way to calm your mind and body before bed, increasing the chances of having a rejuvenating rest. Cast away the worries of the day and ensure sweet dreams each night with these pre-bedtime teas and tips.
How to Create a Bedtime Ritual
First, determine your ideal bedtime. This will be the time that you can commit to being in bed every night, with the lights off and your eyes closed. Your bedtime ritual should begin around 30 minutes before this time, but could be as short as 15 minutes or as long as 60 minutes.
Now, it is time for the fun part—choosing which soothing activities to incorporate into your nightly ritual. Below are a few suggestions:
- Steep some herbal tea: There is something undeniably comforting about cupping a hot mug of tea, and breathing in the fragrant steam. Preparing a cup of your favorite herbal tea is a wonderful way to transition into a state of calmness before bed. Sip slowly, and feel your worries melt away. Ahhhh.
- Shut off your screens: The bedroom is no place for checking work emails or scrolling through Instagram. Close your laptop, put your phone on the nightstand, and commit to disconnecting from the world during this time.
- Turn down the heat: Studies show that cooler temperatures help to facilitate a better night’s sleep, reducing the risk of tossing and turning. Plus, cozying up with a blanket and a hot mug of tea is much nicer when the air is cool and crisp.
- Write in a journal: Jotting down your thoughts in a journal each night is a wonderful way to free up your mind before bed, allowing you to drift into a deep, restful sleep. Journaling can be as simple or as detailed as you like—write down a handful of things you’re grateful for, a few memories from the day you’d like to remember, or your to-do list for the following day.
- Meditate: Simply spend a few moments reflecting on your emotions, worries and fears—then release them one by one. Alternatively, visualize positive scenarios for the following day, or take a moment to appreciate the things that brought you joy that day.
Best Teas for Your Bedtime Ritual
Almost any herbal tea could be included in your nighttime ritual, as herbal teas are naturally caffeine-free and will not provide unwanted energizing effects. However, there are several tea varietals that our Citizens are particularly fond of sipping before bed.
Chamomile tea is one of the most popular pre-bedtime teas. Simply inhaling the sweet, soothing scent of this delightful herbal tea can help prepare your body and mind for a sound sleep. Fragrant lavender tea is another common choice, with Citizens citing the gentle aroma and pleasant floral taste as among the reasons they enjoy this tea before bed.
- Biodynamic® Heirloom Chamomile Tea
- Chamomile Lemon Herbal Tea
- Beautifying Botanicals™ Beauty Sleep Herbal Tea
- get relaxed® – No.14 Tea for Relieving Stress
- get some zzz’s™ – No. 5 Herb Tea for Rest
- Downton Abbey® Lady Cora’s Evening Tea
Choose your favorite herbal teas and relaxing activities from this list, and create your own perfect nighttime tea ritual. Sleep well, and sweet dreams!