It is no secret that matcha green tea has become one of the most beloved varieties of tea around the world. This finely ground green tea powder has risen in popularity in recent years due to its beautiful green coloring, powerful wellness benefits and rich taste.
Matcha tea leaves are shade-grown, which increases the amount of chlorophyll and gives the leaves their bright green color and high nutrient content. Matcha tea is thought to have as much as ten times the amount of antioxidants and health benefits of regular green tea.
Shade-grown matcha tea also has high concentrations of L-theanine, and nearly as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. If you are seeking a gentle energy boost for your body and mind without jitters or other negative side effects, matcha is a wonderful choice.
Starting your morning with matcha is a wonderful way to enhance your daily wellness routine. Below, discover five flavorful matcha recipes to help you begin your day on a positive note.
1. Matcha Latte
Frothy, creamy, earthy, sweet, and rejuvenating — there is so much to enjoy about a classic matcha latte. This antioxidant-rich infusion is also quite simple to prepare:
- Fill a kettle with fresh, filtered water and heat to just short of boiling. Meanwhile, fill a matcha bowl or cup with warm water, swirl to heat the vessel slightly, then pour out.
- Add around 1 teaspoon of matcha powder to the warmed bowl or cup, depending on your desired beverage strength.
- Pour 6 ounces of hot water into the bowl or cup. Using a bamboo matcha whisk or electric frother, whisk briskly until the matcha is smooth and foamy on top.
- Add steamed or frothed milk and sweetener if desired.
Short on time in the morning? Try this easy matcha latte recipe with no whisking required.
2. Matcha Smoothie
Give your favorite morning smoothie a boost. Any smoothie recipe can be revved up with energizing matcha, but we recommend starting with one of the three recipes below:
- Classic Matcha Smoothie Recipe: A creamy and refreshing blend of matcha powder, banana, yogurt, milk, and ice.
- Easy Daily Greens Yogurt Smoothie: Add a packet of Organic Daily Greens™ Single Sips® to your smoothie to reap the wellness benefits of matcha, moringa, chlorella, spirulina, and probiotics.
- Daily Greens Smoothie Bowl: Savor your matcha smoothie by serving it in a bowl topped with sliced fruit, granola, seeds, nuts, and coconut flakes.
3. Matcha Oatmeal
Oatmeal is not always the most exciting breakfast food, but with the addition of fine matcha powder and your favorite toppings, it can be transformed into a treat for the senses. Matcha is flavorful, calorie-free, rich in antioxidants, and gives a gentle energy boost, making it the perfect oatmeal ingredient.
Simply prepare your oatmeal as normal by combining dry oats with your choice of liquid (water or milk), then cook normally. After cooking, add one teaspoon of matcha per cup of oats and stir well. Top with dried berries, fresh fruit, seeds, nuts, honey, or your preferred toppings.
4. Matcha Waffles
Adding matcha green tea powder to your waffle recipe gives this classic breakfast food a healthful and colorful twist. A homemade waffle recipe usually requires just a handful of pantry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, milk, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla.
When preparing matcha waffles from scratch, simply swap out between one teaspoon and one tablespoon of flour for matcha powder. If you are using a boxed mix, sprinkle a few pinches of matcha powder into the batter and cook the waffles as you would normally.
5. Matcha Energy Balls
Matcha energy balls are a wonderful choice for anyone who does not have much free time in the morning but still wishes to start their day on a healthful note. Blend raw cashews, dates, shredded coconut, coconut oil, and two packets of Organic Daily Greens™ Single Sips® in a food processor, then roll into one-inch balls.
These antioxidant and protein-packed energy balls can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, so you can grab them on your way out the door in the morning.
Which of these delicious morning matcha recipe ideas will you try first? Be sure to share your creations with The Republic of Tea on social media @republicoftea.