Detoxify and Rejuvenate with Green Tea
January 13, 2023
The holiday season has come and gone once again. After the leftovers have been eaten and the decorations have been put away, for many Citizens, it is time to focus on setting intentions for the new year ahead.
New year’s resolutions come in many different forms, from exercising more to stressing less. Whether your ambitions center around physical, mental, emotional or spiritual wellness, green tea can be a fantastic (and delicious) ally in helping you achieve your goals.
Green tea has been treasured by tea drinkers in China and Japan for centuries, prized for both its health benefits as well as its enticing aromas and flavors. Now, green tea is cherished by tea enthusiasts all around the globe for many of the same reasons.
Keep reading to learn more about how green tea can help you detoxify, rejuvenate and start your new year on a healthy note. Plus, we will suggest some of our favorite premium green teas for supporting overall wellness.
Wellness Benefits of Green Tea
Is green tea good for you? Indeed it is — in fact, green tea is recognized as one of the healthiest beverages on the planet.*
Green tea is packed with antioxidants and other plant–powered compounds. Antioxidants are substances that act as free–radical scavengers, slowing down or even preventing the damage that free radicals cause to the body. This damage is known as oxidative stress, and it is associated with increased risk of cancer, heart disease, respiratory diseases, immune deficiency and other inflammatory conditions.
While there is no foolproof method for preventing illness, consuming a balanced diet of natural foods and beverages that are rich in antioxidants is one of the best measures you can take to protect your future health.
There are many different types of antioxidants, including vitamin C, vitamin E, beta–carotene and anthocyanins. The tea plant (Camellia sinensis) is known for its high concentration of a specific type of antioxidant known as catechins.
Because green tea is completely unoxidized (compared to black tea and oolong tea), it contains more catechins than any other variety. Specifically, green tea is very high in the antioxidant known as epigallocatechin–3–gallate (EGCG).
According to research studies, EGCGs may have anticarcinogenic, antimicrobial and anti–inflammatory effects.* Additionally, these catechins may positively affect cognitive function, reduce stress and support heart health.*
Antioxidants are not the only thing that makes green tea such a healthful beverage. Green tea also contains the amino acid L–theanine, which may benefit mood, sleep, concentration and other cognitive functions by boosting serotonin, dopamine and GABA levels in the brain.* Again, green tea contains higher levels of L–theanine than any other variety of tea.
Furthermore, green tea also provides a gentle energizing effect through its natural caffeine content.* One cup of green tea contains roughly a quarter of the amount of caffeine in a similarly–sized cup of coffee. Because of the presence of L–theanine in green tea, the energizing effect tends to be much gentler and without the common unwanted side effects associated with coffee, such as jitteriness and headaches.
Green tea has long been associated with weight loss, and for a good reason. Scientific research suggests that both the caffeine and catechins in green tea may boost metabolic rate, helping the body burn energy more efficiently.* Green tea has also been studied for its positive effect on athletic performance and endurance.*
Finally, green tea is a delicious way to stay hydrated and support your body in naturally flushing out toxins.*
Best Green Teas for Detoxification and Rejuvenation
As we have just discussed in the section above, sipping green tea is a wonderful way to support a healthy lifestyle. Whether you are looking to detox and slim down after an indulgent holiday season, or to nourish your body from the inside out so you can head into the year with vim and vigor, green tea can also help to support your new year’s resolutions.
Below are ten of our favorite green teas for healthful sipping:
- Organic Detox Green SuperGreen Tea — This potent blend of green tea leaves, matcha, spearmint and chlorella delivers antioxidant benefits, plus delicious apple and minty notes.
- Organic Turmeric Ginger Green Tea — Fresh green tea is accented by the unmistakable earthy taste of turmeric, zesty ginger, cinnamon and pure honey flavor.
- Daily Matcha — This premium shade–grown matcha powder delivers a smooth, vegetal sweetness with no astringency.
- Açaí Green Superfruit Tea — Organic green tea leaves are blended with açaí, Brazil’s famed superfruit, for a delicious and healthful infusion.
- Honey Ginseng Green Tea — This delicious, subtly sweet blend of green tea, linden blossoms, eleuthero and Panax ginseng offers a peaceful sipping experience.
- Organic Lean Green SuperGreen Tea — Delight in this organic weight loss tea that blends green tea leaves with matcha, cinnamon and garcinia cambogia.
- Blueberry Green Superfruit Tea — With fresh green tea and juicy blueberries, this healthful cup serves up a one–two punch of antioxidants.
- Organic Immunity SuperGreen Tea — Support your body’s natural defenses with nature’s best: a blend of green tea, ginger, echinacea and elderflower.
- Organic 100% Double Green Matcha Tea — We have married organic matcha green tea powder with fine green tea leaves for a double dose of green tea goodness.
- Organic Jasmine Green Tea — Young, hand–plucked jasmine green tea shoots are harvested in the spring, then scented with fresh jasmine buds for a delicate flavor.
This is just a small sampling of our full collection of delicious and healthy green teas. Browse our entire assortment and find the perfect tea to help you detox and rejuvenate this winter.
Seeking more inspiration to start your new year on a healthy note? Read this next: Healthy Teas for Your Post–Holiday Detox
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.