Celebrating 29 Years of Successful Premium Tea Innovations
May 1, 2021
Twenty-nine years ago today, Mel Ziegler, Patricia Ziegler and Bill Rosenzweig founded The Republic of Tea in Mill Valley, California. Within the first year, The Republic of Tea released 21 premium, exotic teas that had never before been available to American tea drinkers. This was the beginning of nearly three decades of successful premium tea and herb innovations.
In celebration of our 29th anniversary, we are proud to share The Republic of Tea’s timeline of innovations. Enjoy this walk down memory lane, and discover how our teas sparked a tea-drinking revolution across the United States.
- 1992: The Republic of Tea is founded. Our best-selling Ginger Peach Black Tea is launched, along with 20 others.
- 1994: Maté Latte is released — the first maté tea in the American marketplace.
- 1998: Premium glass bottled iced teas for restaurants are introduced.
- 2001: Red Tea becomes the first line of flavored rooibos teas from South Africa to be introduced in America, with flavors like Good Hope Vanilla and Caramel Apple Red.
- 2002: The Republic of Tea is the first tea company to receive USDA Certified Organic certification. Today, we offer more than 70 certified organic teas and herbs.
- 2006: Be Well Teas are launched — the first rooibos-based wellness teas on the market.
- 2007: Double Green Matcha Tea is the first organic matcha and green tea bag sold in the United States.
- 2010: Green Rooibos becomes the first raw rooibos herb collection in America.
- 2012: The Republic of Tea releases the first collection of flavored matcha teas in the United States: U•Matcha.
- 2013: The SuperHerb tea collection is the first of its kind in featuring wonder herbs from around the world. Additionally, teas inspired by the award-winning TV show Downton Abbey are introduced.
- 2014: HiCAF Teas are the first teas to include green tea extract and extra caffeine from tea.
- 2015: Sonoma Teas are released — the first fine wine grape skin-based tea collection on the market.
- 2016: The Republic of Tea launches the first organic, functional tea blends featuring matcha, green tea and herbs in the SuperGreen tea collection.
- 2017: In celebration of our 25th anniversary, Ginger Peach Chocolate Truffle Tea is introduced.
- 2018: Single Sips teas become the first pre-measured individual packets of organic teas and herbs on the go.
- 2019: The Beautifying Botanicals collection is launched, featuring collagen-promoting herbal teas for beautiful skin.
- 2020: SuperDigest is the first premium tea line on the market to combine fermented ingredients with added shelf- and heat-stable probiotics in a teabag.
- 2021: The Republic of Tea is the first nationally distributed company to introduce organic Certified Elephant Friendly teas, as well as the first to offer Keto Friendly Sweet Tea in a pouch with monk fruit.
Thank YOU, Citizens, for joining us in celebrating 29 years of The Republic of Tea, and for being an important part of our Tea Revolution!